Items in your mailbox might be subject to your organization’s retention policies or messaging records management, and may be subject to FRCP regulations.
Your mailbox grows as you create and receive email and associated attachments.
To keep your Outlook 2010 organized and to help it run faster, set up the AutoArchive feature. AutoArchive allows you to manage space in your mailbox or on the email server by moving old items that are important, to the archives – a recommended practice. You can archive manually, or you can setup the feature that would do it on the regular scheduled basis.
How to Enable and Configure Auto Archive
In Outlook 2010 Auto Archive is not enabled by default. To turn it on, here is what you need to do:
- Click the File tab to open the Backstage view, and then click Options on the navigation bar to your left.
- On the Advanced tab, under AutoArchive, click AutoArchive Settings.
- Choose the Run AutoArchive every x days to the number you need. The default setting is 14 days, but you can use the number of day you feel is reasonable for you and your business.Please, note: if you select the Permanently delete old items option, emails will not be archived.
- Select any other options that you want. You can choose to have old items deleted automatically at AutoArchive.
- Click OK to save.
- If you need to return to the previous view, click the File tab.