So, your computer is running slow or just keeps hanging there? There are several things to be aware of when looking for reasons as to why your computer slows or freezes.
Before you look for any specific fixes for your computer troubles, consider age of your computer. If your system is older than five years come to terms that it is likely the age of the computer that is causing it to be slow, and it may not be worth it to worry about “fixing” it. Computers evolve at an exponential rate, and new software and core updates for programs increase their minimum requirements for the computer systems. Older, non-compatible computers may not be able to catch up… Not to be funny… Not every grandpa is meant to outperform in a marathon, even if they try to stay in shape. If your computer is very old, we suggest retiring it, purchasing a new computer or just realize it is going to run slow even if slightly improved.
Reasons for potential causes of computer slowness and freezing
- Your computer does not nave enough of free hard drive space
- Your PC requires a memory upgrade
- Your computer has been running for a long time without a reboot
- Computer’s hard drive corrupted or fragmented
- Too many applications running at the same time
- Your computer is infected with a virus or malicious program (malware)
- Fatal or not, hardware conflicts and outdated drivers
- Your version of Windows (or other platform you may be using) or other software is out of date.
- Computer or processor is overheating
- Hardware Failure
For further, more detailed reading on the top reasons for a sluggishness of the computer and for our Practical Advice and Tips on how to fix it, check out Top 11 Reasons for PC issues and Tips on how to Fix Slow Computer